Last Updated: Wednesday, 01 February 2017 08:17
General eligibility criteria
You are eligible if you:
- are a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Scholarship;
- are a Maldivian citizen;
- are residing in and applying for the scholarship from the Maldives;
- satisfy all requirements of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for an Australian Student Visa sub-class 500;
- satisfy the admission requirements of the institution at which the Award is to be undertaken (this may mean that Award will be withdrawn if the recipient cannot satisfy the institution's admission requirements.)
You are NOT eligible if you are:
- married, engaged to, or are a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any part of the application, selection or mobilisation phases;
- current serving military personnel;
- applying for a course of study in Australia for which you have already achieved the same qualification that is deemed equivalent to the Australian qualification;
- applying for another long term Australia Award without having resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time that you were in Australia (for example, a previous awardee who has been on an Australia Awards Scholarship in Australia for four years will not be eligible to apply for another Australia Awards Scholarship until they have been home for eight years).
Detailed information on the Eligibility Criteria can be found in the Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Country-specific eligibility criteria
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, applicants from the Maldives must also meet the following country-specific criteria:
- not have obtained an academic qualification outside the Maldives in the 24 months preceding the application closing date, calculated from the date of arrival back in the Maldives;
- have a tertiary qualification at least equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree;
- select a Master’s course not longer than 2 years in duration;
- have worked in the Maldives for at least 24 months preceding the application closing date (30 April 2017) and after completing their Bachelor’s degree;
- have a minimum IELTS (Academic) overall score* of at least 6.5 with no band less than 6.0, or a TOEFL paper-based test score* of at least 580, with a minimum of 4.5 in the test of written English, or a TOEFL internet-based (iBT) score* of at least 92, with a minimum of 21 in all sub-tests, or a PTE Academic overall score of 58 with no communicative skill score less than 50.
*Note: IELTS, TOEFL and PTE certificates must be valid at 1 January 2018.
Awardees are required:
- to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring they will comply with the conditions of the Scholarship;
- to return to the Maldives for at least two years after completing their Scholarship, to contribute to the economic and social development of the country. Failure to do so will incur a debt to the Commonwealth of Australia for the total value of the Scholarship.
You can visit this link to verify whether you satisfy the eligibility criteria before commencing an application.