Last Updated: Thursday, 01 February 2018 03:56
General eligibility criteria
You are eligible if you:
- are a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Scholarship
- are a Sri Lankan citizen and are residing in and applying for the Scholarship from Sri Lanka
- satisfy all requirements of the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs for an Australian student visa sub-class 500
- satisfy the admission requirements of the institution at which the Award is to be undertaken (this may mean that the Award will be withdrawn if the recipient cannot satisfy the institution’s admission requirements).
You are NOT eligible if you:
- are married to, engaged to or a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any part of the application, selection or mobilisation phases
- are current serving military personnel
- hold permanent residency in Australia or are applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently
- are applying for a course of study in Australia if you have already achieved a qualification that is deemed equivalent to the Australian qualification
- are applying for another Australia Awards Scholarship without having resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time that you were in Australia (for example, a previous Awards recipient who has been on an Australia Awards Scholarship in Australia for two years will not be eligible to apply for another Australia Awards Scholarship until they have been home for four years)
- have held a foreign scholarship in the 24 months preceding the application closing date
- have obtained an academic qualification outside Sri Lanka in the 24 months preceding the application closing date, calculated from the date of arrival back in Sri Lanka.
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Country-specific eligibility criteria
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, applicants from Sri Lanka must also:
- have completed a tertiary level qualification at least equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree
- select a Master’s degree-level course not less than one year nor longer than two years in duration
- have achieved an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic) overall score of at least 6.5 with no band less than 6.0, or a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) paper-based test score of at least 580, with a minimum of 4.5 in the test of written English, or an internet-based TOEFL score of at least 92, with a minimum of 21 in all sub-tests, or a Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) overall score of 58, with no communicative skill score less than 50. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2019
Important: Applicants with a disability or working in the disability sector or working in the districts of Ampara, Batticaloa, Trincomalee, Jaffna, Kilinochchi, Mullaitivu, Mannar, Vavuniya, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Badulla, Moneragala, Puttalam, Ratnapura or Nuwara Eliya will be considered with an IELTS overall score of at least 6.0 with no band less than 5.0 (or equivalent TOEFL or PTE Academic score).
Australia Awards recipients must meet the English language requirement of their course, which may be higher than the minimum requirements specified here.
- be employed in the public, private or civil society sectors and fulfil the below criteria:
- public sector employees must have at least 3 years’ post-qualification experience in the public sector with 2 years in a field relevant to the proposed course of study and be confirmed in their current positions
- private and civil society sector employees must have at least 3 years’ post-qualification experience in a field relevant to the proposed course of study
- satisfy the admission requirements of the institution at which the Award is to be undertaken (this may mean that Award will be withdrawn if the recipient cannot satisfy the institution’s admission requirements).
Australia Awards recipients are required to:
- sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring they will comply with the conditions of the Scholarship
- return to Sri Lanka for at least two years after completing their Scholarship, to contribute to the economic and social development of the country. Failure to do so will incur a debt to the Commonwealth of Australia for the total value of the Scholarship.
You can visit this link to check your eligibility.