Last Updated: Thursday, 09 February 2017 05:58
General eligibility criteria
You are eligible if you:
- are a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Scholarship;
- are a Pakistani citizen and are currently residing in Pakistan for at least 24 months;
- satisfy all requirements of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for an Australian Student Visa sub-class 500;
- satisfy the admission requirements of the institution at which the Award is to be undertaken (this may mean that award will be withdrawn if the recipient cannot satisfy the institution's admission requirements).
You are NOT eligible if you are:
- married, engaged to, or are a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any part of the application, selection or mobilisation phases;
- current serving military personnel;
- holding permanent residency in Australia or are applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently;
- applying for a course of study in Australia for which you have already achieved the same qualification that is deemed equivalent to the Australian qualification;
- applying for another long term Australia Award without having resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time that you were in Australia (for example, a previous awardee who has been on an Australia Awards Scholarship in Australia for four years will not be eligible to apply for another Australia Awards Scholarship until they have been home for eight years).
Detailed information on the Eligibility Criteria can be found in the Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Country-specific eligibility criteria
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, applicants from Pakistan must also meet the following country-specific criteria:
Applicants must be able to identify themselves under at least one of the profiles given below:
- provide a Police Security Clearance Certificate at the time of visa application;
- not hold another scholarship;
- not have held a foreign scholarship in the 24 months preceding the application (24 months are calculated from the date of arrival back in Pakistan to the closing date for receipt of applications);
- be applying to commence a new course of study and not be seeking support for a course already commenced in Australia (on-going study programs will not be supported);
- have the ability to take up the Scholarship in the year for which it is offered;
- outline a case with clear objectives and motivation to make a contribution to development in Pakistan;
- apply for courses that fall within the priority areas identified above;
- satisfy the admission requirements of the Australian tertiary institution and the course to be undertaken;
- have an academic background relevant to the proposed study in Australia;
- be applying for a Masters level course;
- have completed 16 years of education;
- not be above 45 years of age at the time of submitting the application form;
- have at least five years of work experience in the field in which they are applying. Internships will not be considered as work experience.
English language requirements
Applicants MUST be able to demonstrate the ability to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements for the Scholarship at the time of application. The accepted English language tests are IELTS and TOEFL undertaken at the candidate’s own expense. The required IELTS score is an overall band of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0, or a paper-based TOEFL overall score of at least 580, with a minimum of 4.5 in the test of written English, or an internet-based TOEFL score of at least 92, with a minimum of 21 in all sub-tests.
Awardees are required:
- to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring they will comply with the conditions of the Scholarship;
- to return to Pakistan for at least two years after completing their Scholarship, to contribute to the economic and social development of the country. Failure to do so will incur a debt to the Commonwealth of Australia for the total value of the Scholarship.
You can visit this link to verify whether you satisfy the eligibility criteria before commencing an application.