Last Updated: Sunday, 05 February 2017 04:15
General eligibility criteria
You are eligible if you:
- are a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of commencing the Scholarship;
- are a Sri Lankan citizen and are residing in and applying for the Scholarship from Sri Lanka;
- satisfy all requirements of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for an Australian Student Visa sub-class 500;
- satisfy the admission requirements of the institution at which the Award is to be undertaken (this may mean that award will be withdrawn if the recipient cannot satisfy the institution's admission requirements).
You are NOT eligible if you are:
- married, engaged to, or are a de facto of a person who holds, or is eligible to hold, Australian or New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency, at any part of the application, selection or mobilisation phases;
- current serving military personnel;
- holding permanent residency in Australia or are applying for a visa to live in Australia permanently;
- applying for a course of study in Australia for which you have already achieved the same qualification that is deemed equivalent to the Australian qualification;
- applying for another long term Australia Award without having resided outside of Australia for twice the length of the total time that you were in Australia (for example, a previous awardee who has been on an Australia Awards Scholarship in Australia for four years will not be eligible to apply for another Australia Awards Scholarship until they have been home for eight years);
- have held a foreign scholarship in the 24 months preceding application;
- have obtained an academic qualification outside Sri Lanka in the 24 months preceding the application closing date, calculated from the date of arrival back in Sri Lanka.
Detailed information on the Eligibility Criteria can be found in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook.
Country-specific eligibility criteria
In addition to the general eligibility criteria, applicants from Sri Lanka must also meet the following country-specific criteria:
- have completed a tertiary level qualification at least equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s degree;
- select a Master’s course not less than one year nor longer than two years in duration;
- have achieved a minimum academic IELTS (Academic) overall score of at least 6.5 with no band less than 6.0, or a TOEFL paper-based test score of at least 580, with a minimum of 4.5 in the test of written English, or an internet-based TOEFL score of at least 92, with a minimum of 21 in all sub-tests, or a Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) overall score of 58, with no communicative skill score less than 50. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2018;
NOTE: Applicants working in the Northern, Eastern, Sabaragamuwa and Uva Provinces, and applicants with a disability or those working in the disability area will be considered with an overall IELTS band score of at least 6.0 with no band less than 5.0 (or equivalent TOEFL or PTE score). However, these applicants must meet the English language requirements of their course, if offered an Australia Awards Scholarship.
- be employed in the public, private or civil society sector and fulfil the below criteria:
- PUBLIC SECTOR EMPLOYEES must have at least three years of post-qualification experience in the public sector with two years in a field relevant to the proposed course of study and be confirmed in the current positions.
- PRIVATE AND CIVIL SOCIETY SECTOR EMPLOYEES must have at least three years of post-qualification experience in a field relevant to the proposed course of study.
Awardees are required:
- to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring they will comply with the conditions of the Scholarship;
- to return to Sri Lanka for at least two years after completing their Scholarship, to contribute to the economic and social development of the country. Failure to do so will incur a debt to the Commonwealth of Australia for the total value of the Scholarship.
You can visit this link to verify whether you satisfy the eligibility criteria before commencing an application.